Mold and odor problems with your towels? Learn how to keep your towels fresh.
If you live in Florida, then you know what I’m talking about. You reach for a towel and ICK, it has been possessed by a musty odor. Your towel may have just fallen victim to mold growth. Think about it. After you use your towel, you hang it to dry in your bathroom. As you know, bathrooms are notorious for having poor air circulation and retaining humidity – the perfect breeding ground for mold.
So how does one win the battle against moldy towels? Read on:
1. First off, keep your washer clean. Clean it regularly per manufacturer’s instructions. For example, my front loader requires a bleach clean cycle once a month.
2. In your bathroom, try to maximize the drying area of your towel.
3. Replace your towel often. Some experts even argue that towels should be replaced daily, especially if you have any skin irritations like acne. But, we know most people don’t have the time to constantly wash towels.
4. Once you are ready to wash your towel, WASH your towel. Wet or damp towels that are left lying around are the perfect host for mold growth.
5. When washing your towels, understand that laundry detergent will just not cut it. You need to get serious. Either a) Use a Color-safe bleach (if you missed our article on how bleach doesn’t kill mold, please refer to it. In the meantime, this product works in a pinch) or b) add 1 1/2 cups of white vinegar to the laundry cycle in addition to the detergent or c) use Borax per the box’s directions.
6. Our preferred cleaner here is a natural enzyme based laundry detergent like “Naturally It’s Clean”. Enzymes are amazing. They dissolve mold and eat up odor. Unfortunately, natural cleaners tend to be on the pricey side.
7. Make certain to leave your washer door open.
8. Completely dry your towels in the dryer. Make sure that towels do not feel damp to the touch or throw them back in for a touch up. If you take a damp towel out of the dryer, you are undoing everything you just did.
We hope this helps you in your quest to having and maintaining fresh smelling towels!
For all of your questions relating mold, water damage or sewer damage, please contact us at 1-800-DRY-ME-OUT or www.drymeout.com. We are available 24 hours a day.