As water damage restoration experts, we come across flood damage all the time. Whether the damage is from an actual flash flood, heavy rainfall or a pipe leak in your home, house floods are situations where quick care is needed.
Here are ten top facts about flooding:
1. Floods and flash floods happen in all 50 states.
2. Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
3. A foot of water will float many vehicles.
4. Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including SUV’s and pick-ups.
5. 250 gallons of water can be released per day by a mere 1/8-inch pipe crack (aka pin hole leak).
6. Just an inch of water can cause costly damage to your property.
7. Sump pumps can keep your basement from flooding.
8. Lot grading can move water away from your property.
9. Flood damage can happen to anyone.
Flooding is a threat to almost every homeowner in the country. It may be minor, such as an overflowing tub or burst pipe in your home, or it may be serious, such as a flash flood which develops in minutes and can obliterate everything in its path, including people, cars, and even houses. The power of water has to be seen to be believed, and the aftermath of a major flood can often look more like a war zone than a weather event.
In sum, flood damage can cause major water damage. Be prepared and if faced with a house flood, call the experts at 1-800-DRY-ME-OUT.